This morning I volunteered for Miles class Art History project on Frank Lloyd Wright where I thought I was going to be way out of my element. I got a D in Art History in college and honestly don't have a lot of interest in Art History but I enjoyed class today. We learned about Frank and his architecture. He built homes that blended in with nature! When I was a Sophomore in High School in Kirkwood, MO I actually remember touring one of his homes. It was really cool to be able to tell the kids I knew of this architect artist...especially because I was SO out of my element with the project (so I thought)...Check out the house!....http://www.ebsworthpark.org/ ANYWAY....we cut out nature scenes and the kids drew a house and then painted to blend the scene and the house together. It was a very neat project! The kids were funny....I have been volunteering in Miles class since the beginning of school and they still have questions about who I am and ask Miles what it's like to have a Step Mom....If I was mean...If I make him do chores etc. Pretty funny the curiosity of a 4th grader about split families....I tell Miles at some point a child in his class will unfortunately likely be a part of a divorce family and Miles can be a mentor to that child and be there for him/her....Kind of makes me feel bad for Miles to get all those questions...
After the project there was an assembly where the 5th graders performed a Halloween Dance for the school. The kids had a blast. Next were the Harvest Parties where I split my time between Miles and Katrina's classes. It was great to meet other parents and get to know Katrina's teacher a little more as I volunteer more in Miles class. Their teachers are great! The kids were on a sugar high and are so excited for Halloween. We did a candy corn toss and mummy wraps!! Oh good times.....What a day. Both of the kids thanked me for being a part of their day at school which needless to say, feels great.