Monday, October 24, 2011

Our Lock of Love

This summer while life was crazy hectic (we were officially moving out of the St. Louis house and into our new Portland Oregon home ) Dave traveled to Germany for business. He was gone over the 4th of July holiday, we were meeting tons of our neighbors and having a great time. There is a never a good time or perfect time for your husband to be out of the country on business but it has to happen; it's part of the job! We are always bummed when he is traveling. Dave came home from Germany with a very sweet surprise.

The story goes:
Dave has a very romantic side to him and is always very thoughtful and considerate. Our engagement trip to Table Rock Lake, Big Bear Lodge was planned wonderfully and he did an amazing job. The long weekend was filled with so many fun memories and a Diamond Ring to top it off! Our engagement site was beautiful, at sunset, near a gorgeous garden and a really cool gated & locked fence. Behind the fence were two rocking chairs and it was a unique setting and feeling. I took pictures of the locked fence as kind of a fun memory and symbol of where we were engaged and the meaning behind a lock! A lock to hold strong and a tight...kind of like our relationship.

SO when Dave came home from Germany with souvenirs for the kids, a cute white German watch for Katrina and a Stein to hold beer for Miles, he explained he left my gift in Germany and he felt really bad. I said, it's ok, don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. I was just happy he was home! I was going about my business when Dave called me in to the computer room to see the pictures from his trip. He showed me awesome pictures of Cologne Germany, the beautiful Cathedral, and a famous bridge called Hohenzollen Bridge. He explained that the bridge was amazing and is filled with locks that people have inscribed their names on proclaiming their love, leaving the lock on the bridge and taking the key. The pictures Dave took are really neat. All different men and women's names with different anniversary dates. Dave showed me the pictures and handed me the key to our lock he had purchased!! We will go back to Germany some day and locate our lock which he claims he will be able to find! Even if he is unable to find it, we will know it's there!

I know, I know, enough already....all I can say is, he rocks! I am so lucky!  The picture of the lock and the key mean the world to me and is one of my all time favorite gifts! HOW ROMANTIC! :)
Dave and Heather~ during dinner before our engagement

the lock, two rocking chairs, next to site we were engaged!
 
Part of Big Bear Lodge, where Dave and I vacationed on our engagement


Cologne Germany, The Cathedral and The Bridge where the locks are located

SO SO SO MANY LOCKS OF LOVE!


our lock!

our lock on the right (red)