A message to moms on my birthday!
I realize most of you are celebrating National Anthem Day, but today is also my birthday, and for 7 of the 10 people who read this, let's just say I'm stoked to be 32 today!
Apologies for the rant, but here's my issue with today. I'm really disconnected with adults who throw themselves birthday parties or go out of their way to draw attention to themselves on their birthday. The only reason I’m writing this is to make a long overdue point.
Most people celebrate to recognize significant accomplishments, like the day America won its independence, or when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 (Sorry Cardinal Fans). And even more people celebrate their own accomplishments, like passing the BAR exam, getting a promotion, or receiving an award. I remember specific days in my life worth recognizing and celebrating every year. I should celebrate the day I quit sucking my thumb! I think my employees would think I'm a little strange today had I not shaken that habit! I should celebrate the day I saw my first R rated movie. I remember how cool I felt telling everyone in school that I watched 'Conan the Barbarian'! Other days worth celebrating... Graduating college, chugging a beer for the first time, and the first time I got... well you get the point. I will always celebrate my dating and wedding anniversary because I actually accomplished something both those days. On Jan 13th I dismissed all logic and made my move on Heather. A move that could have destroyed a 15 year career. As it turned out... I made the right move!!! Definitely worth celebrating!!! And on June 26th I actually convinced Heather to spend the rest of her life with me! An NFL kicker is always applauded for out kicking his coverage and with Heather, I out kicked mine, so those days I will always celebrate and recognize.
So here's my point. I did nothing on March 3rd other than enjoy my first 'water slide'. My mom did all the heavy lifting that day and the preceding 9 months! I find it ironic that tradition has me accepting gifts from her on this day!?!? Shouldn't I be the one sending my mom a gift in thanks for pushing my huge dome through her privates'. I mean it truly is her accomplishment not mine!
So far all those who feel good enough about someone to send them a gift on their birthday, I say... save the money or send the gift to that persons mom. Heck, it's the moms fault for that person being there in the first place! And for all those people with Charlie Sheenesk egos who throw themselves lavish birthday parties, my advice would be… Save some of your lettuce and buy your mom some flowers or send her a thank you card or something!!!
May the 10 people who read this, share the idea! Heck, maybe even forward this blog to 5 people who you think value where they came from! Maybe we can go viral with this message and we can finally recognize those that deserve recognition on birthdays. Moms.
Thanks Mom! I'm a year older today and moving forward I'll hold you responsible for the all my discretions!! Haha! I love you!!!