Friday, November 12, 2010

Miles "The Negotiator- Money Man"

Miles has two favorite TV shows, 'American Pickers' and 'Pawn Stars' on The History Channel. He is learning a lot about items that can be worth money and the work people go thru and negotiations people make to earn the money! He went to the Pawn Shop with his Grandpa Ernie a couple evenings ago and came back disappointed because he expected the shop to be more like the shows. I guess the shop was small and didn't have much. Anyway, Miles has been a negotiator since I have known him and has progressively gotten increasingly more aware. He says things like I want to make some money, what can I do? If I take out the trash how much will you pay me? If I trade in this game at game stop they will give me this amount of money towards another game. Dad, How much do you think this baseball card is worth? Dad, I want a job? I am going to start sweeping decks! Heather can we go to garage sales, I want to see if I can find a treasure worth something! Long story short, Miles understands that with money comes things that he wants! He is willing to earn the money or trade things that have been bought for him such as games, baseball cards etc. for something else he wants. There are wonderful qualities developing here. Miles is competitive and charming and really enjoys having money. I see a wonderful businessman in the making. For example, a couple of weeks ago we went to the downtown Portland Markets to walk around. Miles found a Toy Booth with Yo Yo's. The Yo Yo he wanted was $17. He told the salesman that he only had $10 (Miles had more than $10 but the salesman didn't need to know that!) and asked if he would take $10. The man said yes! So we chuckled and on we went. Katrina found a booth with stuffed animal puppets. The puppets were $20. Katrina spoke up and said, "Will you take $15? All I have is $15 dollars. " Miles says, "yeah she can only afford $15 will you take it?" The man said yes! Katrina pulls her wad of cash out of her purse and Dave and I were laughing from afar because she obviously had money! The kids were having fun! We come along a sunglasses booth. I was going to buy a pair of sunglasses but at this point there is no way I was going to pay full price because the kids were so successful in being businessmen! So it was my turn to negotiate! The sunglasses were $10. I told the salesman that I have $7 and asked if he would take 7. He says, "no, sorry they're $10." Miles speaks up and aggressively says to the man , "What, you don't want to make any money today!??!" Dave and I lost it laughing! We couldn't believe how passionate Miles was and he was right!! Either the man was going to take $7 for the sunglasses or he was going to lose the sale! The man lost the sale! From now on, I am taking Miles shopping with me!!!

Miles helping Katrina with her wad of cash! Remember, she told the man she only had $15.

Katrina digging in her purse...Do you see the salesman at the puppet stand?


Miles giving the man money for the negotiated sale and thanking him. I think it is funny Dave and I were looking on, taking pictures of the transaction!