Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Children's Cancer Association-Chemo Pal
Last night was "Chemo Pal" Training. I am so excited to get matched with my "kiddo". I recently interviewed to become a Chemo Pal with The CCA (see website). The Children's Cancer Association is a non profit, non government funded association in the business of bringing joy to sick children with Cancer. Their mission is to raise money thru community events and fundraisers to fund the organization. More than 80% of the funds go to the children with cancer thru toys, projects, field trips, chemo pal's, music RX program etc. In the beginning I received a packet of reading material and a couple exams regarding HIPPA laws and Hospital safety etc. I have had to take two TB tests and go thru the training....Now that is all done and I am waiting for my "match"! The program is going to match me with one kiddo with cancer. I will be attending doctor visits and spending time with my "kiddo" at the hospital while they undergo treatment. The child may have a terminal diagnosis and could very well have a very hopeful prognosis. I am nervous. I will be spending a lot of time with this kiddo (at least 10 hours a month) and their family. During training last night a current chemo pal shared her experience and said at first before the relationship with this child and family is developed, it feels like you have been caught going thru a strangers drawers.It is such a personal and deep issue that these families are dealing with. She has been a chemo pal for 3 years and her first match was a 4 year old girl who passed away after 7 months of knowing her. She became so close with that family that she was invited to their home during the little girls last breaths when she passed and remains close with them today. We were told last night that the success rate of children with cancer surviving has recently gone up to 82% success rate which was great to hear. I am hopeful that my "kiddo" likes me and that he/she has a hopeful prognosis. I am also anxious to meet his/her family. I am going to be seeing things I have never seen before that are quite scary. I am going to be learning a lot about a beast called cancer, more about chemo therapy, relationships and more importantly this experience will keep things in perspective for me. After last night I feel anxious, blessed, humbled and excited. I cannot wait to meet my match! I will keep you posted on this experience!