Friday, November 5, 2010

"The Baker Family" by Katrina Baker

Katrina was feeling creative (as always) and started writing a chapter book last night. She was at the kitchen table writing and drawing pictures for quite a while. She came to me and said, "Heather, I finished the first chapter." I said, "Great! Let me hear it." So she read, (as it was written)

Capter 1 The day I maet (met) heather
" one day my dad took me and my brother to a mixscen ristrunt (Mexican Restaurant). that was where i maet (met)  heather. when I got in the ristrunt (restaurant) I went to the front of it and that was when I saw her face She was so nice to me I loved her the momit (moment) I saw her face.a minot leter ( A minute later) she did not mean to but she spiled coffey (spilled coffee) on someone. but I think she slip (slipped) it was not her flat (fault) "

This is a true story. I was working at a Mexican Restaurant in Kirkwood for extra money while also working at Enterprise. Dave brought the kids in while I was working to meet me for the first time! This was a big deal! Dave and I dated for six months before I met the kids. I was SO NERVOUS knowing that the kids were coming to see me. When they got to the restaurant I spilled margaritas behind the bar that I had made for customers. I was so embarrassed that the kids saw me spill drinks! Isn't it funny that she remembers it as coffee?? How cute! Needless to say, selfishly, I loved that the first chapter of "The Baker Family" chapter book started with the day she met me! HAHAHA!

One of my favorite pictures of Katrina.
 Taken in Colorado a few years ago. She was only 5 in this picture!