Sick Day vs. Mental Health Day
Causes of a Sick Day: Fever, aches, chills, pain, vomit, pajamas, bed and shut eye (the list goes on)
Causes of a Mental Health Day: A test, a mean child at recess, the annoying teacher, the girl you like being absent (the list goes on)
Miles has had the 24 hour stomach bug and is getting better this evening but starting after school yesterday he was feeling legitimately crummy. This is the conclusion we came to after much debate. He started complaining of an upset stomach before dinner. As a parent I immediatley think, was this because he did not want to eat what was for dinner? He didn't like the looks of dinner? Or was he serious? He excused himself from the table after eating maybe 4 bites and being told no desert. I rolled my eyes and huffed thinking he was not really sick, he was just being picky about food again!
After dinner last night the complaining continued, pepto bismol was distributed and water bottle filled to the top as he was in and out of the bathroom every 20 minutes (Too much information??? Sorry). Just after 10pm (bed time 8:30pm) he finally fell asleep...I'm thinking the poor guy has had a rough night, hoping he is better for school.
As a parent you want to be sure he is ok but we were all in 5th grade once! We also want to be sure he was truly and honestly sick! I remember growing up and trying to "fake sickness" so I didn't have to go to school and take that dreaded test or see that mean girl at recess! Watching TV in my pajamas sounded a lot better! Growing up, my parents made sure I knew what "sick days" would look like and when I was truly sick they would tend to me but when I wasn't sick they knew I was "BS- ing" them. My Mom and Dad were smart.
I think of them a lot when Miles and Katrina are sick! I remember one Saturday morning in St. Louis Katrina was complaining of an upset stomach on our way to dance. I felt her head...no fever...I was thinking she just did not want to go to dance! It was not until there was throw up all over the back seat that I believed her. Needless to say we turned around and headed home! I guess I learned a lesson there, though she has tried to pull a couple mental health days since! I also remember a couple times where Miles has had a big game or a performance at school and some how that causes a belly ache or a head ache only to find out it was nerves. So, where is the line? It's a fine line for sure!
This morning I found myself saying the same things to Miles that my parents once said. "Miles I want you to feel better and I don't want you to go to school if you truly feel sick but a sick day does not mean you will be able to stay home and play video games all day. It means you relax on the couch or in your room etc. It's not a fun filled day off." After texting Dave to let him know I was keeping Miles home from school he texted back "ok but NO VIDEO GAMES", great minds think alike! We are smart!
Anyway, Miles was not kidding, I saw for myself and he was truly feeling crummy, though I don't want him feeling bad ever it reassured my decision to keep him home. I went to the store after talking with Mom (my go to, nurse RN) and got popscicles, bananas and soup. We have had a lazy day to say the least. I was lucky to get a few things done around the house and that was the extent of it!!!
Needless to say, the kids will never get away with faking it...Not with me as their Step Mom...I tried to pull those same tricks and it never worked, so I cannot let it work for them! If you aren't sick you go to school! HAHA! Are we mean?!!? Just another reason our kids are resilient I suppose!
Baker Family Rule #2 -Don't Get Sick-